Here at Homecamp we’re big fans of anything that gets you outdoors and exploring, while still being able to enjoy the little luxuries of life. So as soon as we can across the Ultimate Picnic Backpack by Excursion Co, we were hooked.
Excursion Co. have set about fixing an age old problem: everyone loves picnicking but getting the gear together can be a hassle. With this versatile wax canvas pack you have almost everything you need to pull off a superb picnic for two – all you need is the food, a view and a bottle or two of your favourite beverage. Everything about this bag presents with quality and thoughtful attention to detail. Featuring a 18L insulated cold storage compartment to keep your cold meats, cheeses and drinks cool (enough room for 19 cans of beer!) and all the necessary tableware that make a picnic a success, including a wooden serving/chopping Board, enamel wine tumblers and plates, and a cutlery set for two. To complete the kit, the backpack comes with a large woven waterproof-backed rug.
We chat with founder Ben Juzwin about how the product came to be, and his ultimate picnic tips.
What prompted the idea for the Ultimate Picnic Backpack?
Initially, the idea for the pack came about when myself and my girlfriend Lou were frustrated by the lack of options to keep our spread chilled whilst picnicking. We would always be hunting all around the house for the different components to jam in a standard backpack. Other than the cheapo options, there really wasn’t anything that we considered durable, practical and stylish enough to want to wear around. I started to think about what exactly it was that I would want to exist and I mentioned the idea to a good friend of mine, just in passing. He told me that his dad had 35 year’s experience in manufacturing outdoor packs for some of the biggest brands in the world. Quite a ridiculous coincidence really. We had a Skype, and before I knew it we were several rounds through prototyping and I was flying to meet with manufacturers half way around the world.
What makes the perfect picnic in your eyes?
When you’ve walked long enough for you to be hungry, but not too far that you’re hangry…
What are your top 5 must-pack picnic essentials?
1. Rug. Waterproof backed. Nobody likes a wet bum.
2. Cheese. 1 soft, 1 blue, 1 hard (minimum)
3. Drinks. Anything alcoholic always tastes better chilled.
4. Bottle opener (only so many times you can ask the people next to you)
5. Washable sleeves. Because when that sun has set, you don’t want to be cleaning, evacuate!
Where are your top 5 picnic spots in Australia?
1. Wineglass Bay, Freycinet, Tasmania (white sand and pristine waters)
2. Wattamolla Clifftops, Royal National Park, Sydney (Whale watching if you’re lucky)
3. Abbotsford Convent, Melbourne (on a Farmer’s market Saturday!)
4. McKell Park, Darling Point, Sydney (awesome Sydney Harbour view)
5. Mount Lofty gardens, Adelaide (nice Sunday cruise into the hills)
Shop the Ultimate Picnic Backpack here.